Thursday, October 21, 2010

Final Paper Proposal

What are the social and psychological impacts of transsexualism on the transsexual, the people close to them, and society as a whole?
 This isn't like a thesis....this is kinda what I want to focus on...I'm kinda thinking out loud.
I aim to focus on the socio-psychological impact Dana Stevens' decision to undergo a sex-change operation had on the characters of the book Trans-sister Radio, and if that is an accurate depiction of how it effects other parts of society. The townspeople of Bartlett were outraged by Dana's decision to undergo the operation, and were equally upset by the fact that Allison decided to stay with her. Allison's reputation as a teacher and as a member of the community were at stake throughout most of the book due to irate citizens. Allison and Carly begin to question their own sexualities, as does Will, who ends up living with Dana. Dana, throughout her whole life, struggled internally with her gender dysphoria, wondering if he was just gay, or if he truly was a woman trapped in a man's body. With research, I will look at other stories of real-life transsexuals and compare/contrast them with Trans-sister Radio. I will also explore research about transsexualism, to see if I can get a better understanding of the biological and psychological components, if any, that exist within the brain and mind of a transsexual. I'm not entirely sure of the question I want to ask.....but at least I know what I want to talk about!

3 comments:

  1. Tyler,

    I also want to look into transsexuals post-op, to see if they feel as a man/woman on the outside as they do on the inside after the operation. I too was looking at this issue from the view point of society, and how accepting society is to one who has changed his/her sex and whether that effects how the transgendered feels about their body post-op.

    I think it will be really interesting for you to compare and contrast real life stories with the story told in Trans-Sister Radio; it seems so real, and is described so accurately, that it will be interesting to find out whether or not it really is accurate.

    We can probably share lots of info on this topic - along with at least Hannah too (i haven't read Dani and Kaely's blogs yet).

    Looking forward to compiling info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tyler,

    I'm really interested in your question about whether or not post-op transsexuals feel that their bodies and minds really do "match" after the surgery. I think this would be the true test of the surgery and perhaps the whole state of mind of transsexuals. I can't wait to see what you find in your real life stories!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. What reading will you do to differentiate between gender and sexuality? In this proposal, you appear to be conflating being gay with being trans, and they're not the same thing. Read some materials on LGBT literature; maybe your group can toss some texts around.

    You also seem to be saying that the characters conflate these two ideas. Am I reading this correctly? Finally,remember to analyze the book as literature, not an anthropological text about transsexuals in America.

    ReplyDelete